Rebecca Batcheller v. Wakefield & Associates, Inc.
SIXTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT COURT FOR JACKSON COUNTY
STATE OF MISSOURI
Case No. 2116-CV24281
Final approval was granted in this Settlement on December 19, 2023. You can review the order HERE.
If you were named as a defendant in a debt collection lawsuit filed by Wakefield & Associates, Inc., you may be eligible for benefits from a class action settlement.
A Missouri Court has authorized the Notice. This is not solicitation from a lawyer.
• You may be eligible to participate in a settlement with benefits, including money or debt relief, for all persons who were named as a defendant in a debt collection lawsuit filed by Wakefield & Associates, Inc. (“Wakefield”) between November 5, 2016 and August 27, 2020, in which an affidavit of assignment from the original creditor was notarized by Deanne M. Pollock.
• The settlement resolves a lawsuit over whether Wakefield filed improper debt collection lawsuits against debtors based upon invalid affidavits of assignment of debt. This Settlement avoids costs and risks to you from the lawsuit, provides benefits to debtors like you, and releases Wakefield from liability.
• The two sides disagree on whether the debtors could have won and how much money or other relief they would have been entitled to had they won.
• Your legal rights are affected whether you act or don’t act. Read the Notice carefully.
• Consult your tax adviser about the tax issues associated with this Settlement. Relief provided under this Settlement, including money and debt reduction, may be subject to tax.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS
|By doing nothing, you will receive certain benefits that come from the Settlement. But you give up rights to separately sue Wakefield about the same legal claims asserted.
|Get no money or benefits. This is the only option that allows you to ever be part of any other lawsuit against Wakefield about the legal claims at issue in this class action.
|Write to the Court about why you don’t like the Settlement.
|GO TO A HEARING
|Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement.
• These rights and options—and the deadlines to exercise them—are explained in the Notice.
• The Court must still decide whether to approve the Settlement. The Settlement benefits will be provided if the Court approves the Settlement and after any appeals are resolved. Please be patient.